Kansas Environmental Health Association

Affiliate of the National Environmental Health Association

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Duckweed Eradication

Guy Crabill

I have had a query from an installer who is engaged in rehabilitating an existing private on-site wastewater lagoon. He is not having much luck using Weedrine 2,4-D in edadicating duckweed.  He is aware that he cannot use a product such as Diquat on municipal lagoons as it affects quarterly sampling.

As private wastewate lagoons are not subect to scheduled sampling is anyone, aware of any restrictions on the use of products such a Diquat, Fluridone or Simazine in regards to rehabilitating same? 

Guy Crabill

Franklin County Environmental Health 

July 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Guy Crabill

That  is eradicating.

July 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Beth Rowlands
Administrator

Hi!  This is Beth.  I'm just passing along a response from one of my county sanitarians.

To be able to assist you, I need more information and a picture would be nice. There are treatment systems that have been designed using “duck weed” as a primary critter to treat wastewater. We nuked the duck weed a few years ago in the county lagoon which resulted in other problems and the lagoon would not restart. It was a stinking mess.  After analyzing a sample we used a pplymer to fix the system; about 1/4 cup of white powder.  Problem was fixed in about 15 minutes.  You may remember a table top demonstration at one of the Rock Springs meetings.

July 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Beth Rowlands
Administrator

Just for reference, here is the KSU Exten Bulletin on control of aquatic plants http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/pubs/S29.pdf

July 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.